Sunday 3 May 2009

Music as Unexpected Delight


Katrina reminded me of this the other day on her Facebook site when she reported hearing a busker play a favourite song. That he played in the tube area was the unexpected but it gave her great delight. The story of music on this blog indicates many others for me.
The photo above I took in a side room of a large hotel in Beijing where we were staying in 1991. I bought 4 cups of coffee to allow me to listen. A magical moment.
Coming home from a Scout Jamboree in Melbourne .... it was 2.00am in the morning as the train came into Junee Railway Station. I could hear the sound before we reached the station. I was awake and thrilled. A Jazz Festival had descended onto the station. Stunning, marvellous ... I relived the experience for many years. The rest of the journey to Sydney and then to Lithgow was a Jazz filled dream.
The Doch Gipsy Orchestra concert to which Jocelyn and I had been invited was simply JOY. That we had been invited to a meal and concert was special but to listen to such a variety of sound kept fingers and toes moving all evening. Another remarkable aspect of this evening was the way each section of the band played solo items which delighted the rest of the band. They as individuals responded with great enthusiasm for the individual contributions to the concert. Sadly I learn from friend Christie that the band no longer exists. The core group has moved on to other ventures.
The East European band on the walk along the Thames three weeks back was again a special occasion. The demands of family members to move on was reluctantly agreed to .... I could have stayed much longer.
The music at Holy Trinity Brompton on Good Friday belongs here as well. Choirs and soloists contributed to a very special occasion.
Obviously this entry will be edited from time to time. I acknowledge that to play CD or tape of favourite music will always bring pleasure and memories but there remains a special place for all of us from Music as Unexpected Delight.

2 comments:

Rasputin Gordon said...

I find it hard to believe that your general conversation
is so far removed from the way you write. Methinks
you are a closet-poet ! How could anyone who grew up in Lithgow have thoughts/feelings about the
eternal verities ? The references to Music, Art, Theology, Education would seem to indicate a person
of culture, fine-arts-education and refinement. And
from Lithgow ? Does Lithgow have an Arts Festival like Adelaide ? A Comedy Festival like Melbourne ?
I think you were abducted from your birthplace in
Toorak / Double Bay and left in a Lithgow doorway.

John Swanston said...

I am concerned that Rasputin has arisen from Revesby. To take on his persona is a worry-some development. Church and school provided inputs to enhance the spirit. 2FC and 2BL were standard fare at home. No commercial radio invaded our home. One has to be cautious about asking the question: Can any good come from .... such and such a place. I fear for one who takes upon himself the mantle of Rasputin.
Prayers will be offered at the altar.